Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thoughts on a Snowy Day...

Outside my window a winter wonderland takes shape. Snow falls in heavy sheets outside my window, and yet it falls in such a peaceful way. The snowflakes are small, so small and altogether they blanket the frozen ground below.

I sit here and admire the beauty of it all. I find deep beauty in winter, with white snow covering everything, and icicles hanging from roofs. It's as if crystals are adorning all the homes and buildings in sight, and as if diamonds are blanketing everything in their soft glow. Our God sure knows how to craft a beautiful sight. Thank you God for this beautiful day! Although, I do pray that for those who are traveling in it, that the Lord bless them with safety.

On another note, here at the university I attend, we have Chapel services three times per week. Today my friend, and work supervisor spoke. He spoke about calling, and the fact that the Lord does not usually call the strong and confident. Instead, our Lord usually calls those who are weak and unsure of themselves. He read from 1 Corinthians 1:26-28, which I have placed below:

"(26) Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. (27) But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. (28) God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are."

I don't know about you, but I find great comfort in hearing this. As some of you know, I have been struggling with a call to enter the Priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church. I feel unworthy. I feel weak. I feel incapable of leading God's people in word and in sacrament. And yet, when I feel at my lowest, and when I struggle with this call the most- someone I trust comes along and tells me something like this. I feel that God used my friend today, through what he said in the chapel service, that the Lord does not expect me to be perfect, nor strong, nor confident in this calling. All the Lord is asking of me is to consider this calling, and to follow Him in all I do.

Well Lord, here I am. Your servant is listening. I pray for courage to do this thing that you are calling me to do. I pray for people to support all those considering the Priesthood and religious life through their prayers. I pray for those in my life who could guide me and help me discern. I pray for the hearts of my parents Lord, for they were my 'first seminary.' I pray all these things in your great, holy, and perfect name.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment